Here We Still Stand Reflections

I had the opportunity to attend Here We Still Stand in San Diego organized by The 1517 Legacy Project and Christ Hold Fast on October 19-21.  Today, I would like to share some reflections from the conference. These are in no particular order.
  • 5 Solas-Faith Alone, Grace Alone, Christ Alone, Scripture Alone, To the Glory of God Alone.  The speakers focused on these Solas and they were a great reminder to me that often as a Christian I can get distracted from the most important thing.  What am I going to focus on?  Humans and our ability to do and to be or on Christ the One who has done it all for me. Thanks Doug Klembara for the banner picture!
  • The Gospel-As I was glow paddleboarding in the bay in San Diego, I talked with Elyse Fitzpatrick about the difficulty in finding a conference focused on the gospel.  What do I mean?  The gospel is what Christ has DONE.  It is Jesus' life, death, resurrection and ascension.  So, often we as Jared C. Wilson said, "preach 45 minutes of law and throw the gospel in at the end.  That's not gospel centered, that's gospel caboosed" I am not interested in conferences that give me stuff to do or on leadership principles or what Christians should look like which try to change me externally.  I want the gospel preached undiluted and pure and then allow the Holy Spirit to take the message and transform me from the inside out.  Many churches and conferences have gospel in their title and talk about Jesus for salvation, but do not see gospel as the message for the believer and good news for us today.  We do not need to move on from the gospel.  I need it daily.  I need to hear Christ died for sinners all the time.
  • God as Creator-I am from Kansas.  We have amazing things such as wheatfields, sunflowers, amazing sunsets.  But I always marvel when I go to the ocean.  There's just something about it that causes me to praise God.  Not to mention that San Diego also has mountains, deserts, and amazing weather.  I don't know if Southern California people know the gift they have, but something wells up inside me when I see the amazing work of God as Creator.
  • Every denomination has their thing-Christ Hold Fast and The 1517 Legacy Project are comprised of mostly Lutherans. I am not Lutheran. However, I appreciate the Lutheran perspective and believe we can learn a lot from them regarding Law/Gospel, double imputation, and much more.  As a pastor in the Mennonite Brethren Church, I hold to different theological views on baptism and the Lord's Supper.  But what I have learned from being part of several denominations (PCUSA, EPC, Disciples of Christ, Baptist) is that each one has their thing they do well and they also have their thing that can hinder what's most important.  Rather than bash other denominations, let's find the good and learn from them.  And realize that first of all, we are followers of Christ not Mennonite Brethren, Lutheran, Presbyterian, Baptist, etc. One of the things that excited me most about the Liberate conference was the gathering of saints from many denominations who were united around one message--the gospel.  No one denomination has the goods.  Let's find others across denominational boundaries and gather around the gospel which is good news for unbelievers and believers alike. No bait and switch.  Just praising God for what He has DONE for us with other like minded Christians.
  • Amazing People/Conversations-I am an introvert.  I like being by myself.  However, I enjoy talking about Jesus with people.  I am amazed at the people I have met at various conferences who I have been following on social media.  You know who you are! We are united around the gospel on Facebook and Twitter and more.  We love to share the gospel daily with those who live in Florida, Pennsylvania, New York, Tennessee, Michigan, Montana, Virginia, Texas, Phoenix, Nevada, California, Georgia and more. It is difficult to put into words how you miss people you met only a few weeks ago.  In some ways you are closer to these people than people who live in your same community.  Why?  Because of our unity around the gospel.  I am energized by these conversations whether they happen in Hesston, on airplanes, over coffee, around dinner tables, in hot tubs/slides/pools (Blake and Evan), at the beach, in churches, or at conferences. I want to talk about Jesus and when others do too, it is such a joy and so much fun.  I don't want these conversations to ever end.  But unfortunately they do here on earth, but in heaven we will get to have these conversations for eternity. 
I am sure there are other things I could write too, but I am going to stop here.  Thank you for the hard work, energy, time and money you put into this great party and conference, The 1517 Legacy Project and Christ Hold Fast!

You can watch the speakers at https://vimeo.com/1517legacy or you can visit previous blog posts where I share notes from the sessions.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon Notes-"Transitional Thoughts"

Sermon Notes "Plans" based on Acts 10:24-48