Stop and Smell the Roses

This post originally appeared at 1 Corinthians 13 Parenting.


 

I don’t know who originally coined the phrase above. But I like it.

The picture attached to this blog post is my youngest daughter, Molly, and me. When she was younger (she is almost 10 now), every time we came near flowers in our yard or at our local arboretum, we would stop to smell the flowers.

Why all the talk about flowers? 

As individuals, spouses, parents, grandparents, we all need perspective. So often we are so busy living our lives that we lose perspective. I discovered that I asked a lot of questions while on sabbatical that I don’t know that I would have asked if I would not have had the break.
It reminds me of Isaiah 55:8-9 which says, “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord.  For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.”
 
God knows what is best for us and can always see the big picture. 

We need to stop occasionally and try and see from God’s perspective. It is like us hiking to the top of a mountain peak or glancing out the window of an airplane because then we see a broader perspective than we see while we are in the middle of life. Our problems at work, at home, in our finances, etc. can cause us to focus on fixing the problems that we often lose perspective. I know I have lost perspective in many ways.

I would like to encourage you to get some perspective this week. 

Maybe it will be an hour, a half-day or all day retreat? During this time, ask God to give you perspective for your life personally, at your workplace, in your relationships, friendships, and within the body of Christ. I believe God would love to answer this prayer.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon Notes-"Transitional Thoughts"

Sermon Notes "Plans" based on Acts 10:24-48