When Your Baby is Sick

This post was originally posted at 1 Corinthians 13 Parenting.  I wanted to share it since my daughter's birthday was last week.

The month of March brings back many memories including the birth of my oldest daughter, Mackenzie.
When Your Baby is Sick
At 32 weeks, Bethany (my wife) began having contractions. The doctor was able to get the contractions stopped and immediately put her on bed rest. Since our first child Mitchell was 2 and would not be helpful to a mom on bed rest, he left for Kansas (we lived in Colorado) for the rest of the pregnancy. Bed rest went well for the next 3 weeks, but after an appointment, Bethany was released for limited activity. Since we were not ready at all for this baby, we needed to do some necessary errands.
Following this day of errands, Bethany began having contractions again. This time the doctors could not get labor stopped. Mackenzie was born via C-section at 35 weeks.
Immediately after birth she was taken to the NICU where she spent the next two weeks. Our story is simple compared to many premature births, but I share this to encourage parents facing difficulties with their child.
 
What helped us through:
  • God hears and answers prayer. We prayed a lot and asked others to pray with us. Psalm 3:4 says, “To the Lord I cry aloud, and he answers me…”
  • God still heals today. When I had a sick baby and when I have talked with others facing illness, I pray big prayers on their behalf. I pray to Jehovah Rapha (God our Healer) and ask for healing. Ephesians 3:20 encourages me in this by saying, “Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine…
  • God loves us and is always with us. I didn’t question where God was, nor did I ask if God was punishing me. I instead held tight to the belief that God is good and He loves me. Another encouragement is Matthew 28:20, “And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
  • God’s people are a blessing. We were a part of a church family who came alongside us during this time. They prayed for us, sent us cards, provided meals, took care of Mitchell, and so much more. I can’t imagine going through difficult times without the Body of Christ. 1 Corinthians 12:26 says, “If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.” 
If you are facing a difficult time with your children whether it is physical, emotional, relational, or spiritual, be encouraged by the words above.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon Notes-"Transitional Thoughts"

Sermon Notes "Plans" based on Acts 10:24-48