Hide and Seek



Here are my notes from my message today at Hesston MB:


Opening: Recognition of Hide N Seek Leaders
Introduction: Theme Verse: “How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word. I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands.  I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.” Psalm 119:9-11

Game of Hide and Seek-Which do you like more: hiding or seeking?
Our Hide & Seek

·         Genesis 3:8-10-Because of sin, We Hide

o   Ever since the Fall, we have been hiding our sin from God and others.  Think about it.  When you sin, do you tell God or others? I can only speak for myself but I hide. 

o   We hide our struggles and hurts from others and even our church family.  The church, place that should be safe to share our sin and struggles is usually the last place where it is shared.  Why?  Because we are afraid what God or others will think about us.

·         Hebrews 4:12-13

o   Even though we try, we cannot hide our sins from God.  This includes external and internal.

o   This Scripture like many others creates fear in us

·         We go seeking for ways to make up for our sin being exposed

o   (relationships, career, good works, self-righteousness)

·         No one seeks God-Romans 3:11-12 “None is righteous, no, not one;11  no one understands;
    no one seeks for God.12 All have turned aside; together they have become worthless;  no one    does good, not even one.”

God’s Hide & Seek

·         Throughout Scripture, God Hides Us

o   Psalm 17:8 Keep me as the apple of your eye hide me in the shadow of your wings,;

o   Psalm 27:5 For he will hide me in his shelter in the day of trouble; he will conceal me under the cover of his tent; he will lift me high upon a rock.

·         God has made it possible to be found-like playing hide & seek with a 2 year old

o   Jeremiah 29:13 13 You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart. 14 I will be found by you, declares the Lord

·         Jesus Came to Seek & Save-Luke 19:10

·         Hebrews 4:14-16-Through Jesus life, death, resurrection, and ascension, we are offered mercy and grace.

 Closing

·         George Brett Doll-Hidden with Christ-Colossians 3:3

·         James Bryan Smith “Hidden in Christ” pg. 43,46

o   I realized that the Russian dolls illustrate both kinds of “in” When I focus on the bigger doll hiding the smaller doll, I think about how I am “in Christ.” Jesus is like the bigger doll, and I live and move within him. This is very comforting and encouraging as I think about how I, by God’s grace, have received all that Jesus is and does and has done-forgiveness, reconciliation, life, healing, power, wisdom. When I focus on the small doll inside the bigger doll, sometimes I reflect on how Christ is “in me.” Again, by God’s grace, I have new life in me; the very life and power that raised Jesus from the dead lives in me. I don’t know how this works, but I know that it is a reality by the ways Jesus works in and through me…Remember who you are: you are one in whom Christ dwells and delights. Remember where you are: you are “in Christ,” safe and secure. And remember what you are capable of: you
      can do all things through Christ.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon Notes-"Transitional Thoughts"

Sermon Notes "Plans" based on Acts 10:24-48

What is D6 Conference?