Who?

I have been studying for a message I am preaching on May 19th.  As I reflect on this message, I am drawn to two specifics (I might even go so far as to say basics) of the Christian life.  I need to know who God is and I need to know who I am.  If I look to the world or determine these on my own, I can have a flawed understanding of both.  We need to look at God's Word to see who He is and who we are. 

What does the Bible say about God? 
  • God has revealed himself throughout the Bible.  After all, the Bible is truth about God.  Every page tells us something about God.  More intelligent people than me have taken the passages of Scripture and tried to explain God's attributes (his character) in a systematic way.  This is helpful, but we also have to understand God is bigger and wiser than we are.  We will not understand everything about Him.
What does the Bible say about us?
  • Many Christians are confused about their identity.  The world says one thing.  They believe something different personally about themselves.  Others define and tell them who they are and should be.  But God's Word clearly teaches who we are.  However, we seem to make it more complicated.  
  • Are we sinners or saints?  Are we loved because we obey or loved unconditionally? Am I victim of my circumstances or more than a conqueror?  Do I need to ask for the fruit of the Spirit each day or are they always available and accessible as a believer? Am I a worm or precious child of the King? Is God on my side or do I need to be on guard because He might want to punish me or teach me a lesson?
  I look forward to sharing this Sunday about who God is and how this should affect how we live. 

Check back on Sunday or Monday for points from my message on May 19.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon Notes-"Transitional Thoughts"

Sermon Notes "Plans" based on Acts 10:24-48