Thoughts on the Gospel

What is the gospel? Was the gospel shared in worship on Sunday? How do you respond to these questions?

The answer reveals much of our understanding about God, Jesus, salvation, and the church.

Some people believe the gospel means everyone is saved. Others believe the gospel is what is shared to get someone saved. They believe the "altar call" is necessary at every service and if the pastor doesn't share the gospel then he is not concerned with people getting saved. Still others understand the gospel to be about what Jesus has done for us and it applies to all of life, not just a salvation decision.

I agree with the last viewpoint. The more I understand of God's love, what Jesus accomplished on the cross, and the gift of the Holy Spirit, the more I realize I need the gospel daily. It was not just something that got me saved. It is something that also keeps me saved. We rightly teach that salvation is by grace through faith alone. However, once saved, we shift to self-effort and challenge others to work harder.

We believe that sanctification is all about how disciplined I am to read my Bible, pray, serve, worship, tell others about Jesus, etc. It becomes all about my effort and will power. I disagree. Sanctification is just as dependent on the gospel as justification is. The more I understand about the gospel, the more I understand who God is, my identity in Christ, and the Holy Spirit's power then I realize it's not about me.

Because of my relationship to Jesus, I want to spend time with him in reading His Word, prayer, and worship. Because Jesus served me and others, I want to serve others. Because of the great news of the gospel, I want to share with others around me.

So, how about you? What does the gospel mean for you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon Notes-"Transitional Thoughts"

Sermon Notes "Plans" based on Acts 10:24-48