Red Letter Christians

I have begun reading a book called Red Letter Revolution by Shane Claiborne & Tony Campolo.  I will be writing a review once I complete the book so I don't want to say much at this time.  While I don't agree with them on a few things, their dialogue has forced me to better understand what I believe and why.  Here are a few quotes that I have appreciated:

"Over the past few decades our Christianity has become obsessed with what Christians believe rather than how Christians live. We talk a lot about doctrines but little about practice."
"We choose the American dream instead of the gospel dream."
"it is pretentious to think we can be Christian without the church."
"We need to be part of repairing what's broken rather than jumping ship."
"For me, I did not choose Jesus because I was scared to death of hell. Nor did I choose Jesus because I wanted mansions in heaven and streets of gold. I chose Jesus because he's wonderful, absolutely wonderful. We can live without fear."
"But sometimes the extremist version is the only version of Christianity some people have ever seen."
"Our deepest longing is for community--to love and to be loved."
"we need to be pro-life from the womb to the tomb."
"We can see that the closer we are to God, the less we want to throw stones at other people."
"Shouldn't we try to be as gracious as God, as merciful as Jesus?"
"Our ideologies come with responsibility."
"For far too long, we Christians have been known more by what we are against than by what we are for."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon Notes-"Transitional Thoughts"

Sermon Notes "Plans" based on Acts 10:24-48