Abortion and the Death Penalty

I know this post will probably ruffle a few feathers.  This is J.L.'s thinking out loud and is not associated with or the position of my church.  However, it is not intended to anger people, but instead think biblically & critically about the issues of our day.  I am pro-life as are many evangelicals.  But I have never understood how someone can be pro-life on the issue of abortion yet support the death penalty.  If we are pro-life, should we also not be against the death penalty because it takes life?  I don't claim to be highly intelligent or a scholar, so I want to hear your thoughts.  Here are my questions:

How can we quote certain Bible verses regarding abortion, but then not also apply to the death penalty?
I know you will quote "an eye for an eye", but what about Jesus' teaching about grace, forgiveness, and mercy?
Am I the only person who is confused by this position?

Comments

  1. Because of two reasons. First in Genesis 9:6 the Lord established the death penalty almost immediately. Why.. because life itself is sacred.. and the taking of a life is to be met with the ultimate consequence in order to keep it Holy. Secondly Romans 13:4 is a continuation of that into the New Testament.. "For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer."

    I sort of molded my viewpoint over the years on this from the stance of Ravi Zacharias, RC Sproul, and Chuck Colson who in later years reversed his earlier anti-death penalty stance.

    Lastly.. I think there is a big difference in killing and murder. Murder is an act of hate. Killing in the context of the death penalty is an act of justice for the ultimate disdain for the gift of life. So to me This is how one can be against abortion and for the death penalty.. Preservation of life is the goal of both stances.
    One quick final thought.. Jesus never spoke out against the death penalty.. Even while hanging on the cross between the two theives. Even after one thief said basically..'we deserve this, He is innocent'.

    Just my two cents.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon Notes-"Transitional Thoughts"

Sermon Notes "Plans" based on Acts 10:24-48