Tips For Getting the Most Out of Conferences

I am headed to Dallas tomorrow for the D6 Conference.  I have been to this conference more often than any other ministry conference.  It has the most to offer for my specific ministry responsibilities.  But I know for many people, conferences can be overwhelming.  So, I wanted to offer a few tips for getting the most out of any conference you attend.

Here they are in no specific order:

  • Pray-(OK-this one should always be first). Ask God about which workshops you attend.  Seek Him for what vendors to visit.  Pray for divine appointments of people you need to connect with.
  • As you choose workshops, pick a few that relate to what you are currently doing in ministry, pick one that is a dream of yours, pick one that might challenge your thinking.  This allows for a broad range of learning to occur.
  • At most conferences, you can win something if you visit every vendor booth.  I have found this is extremely stressful for me.  I walk by all vendors during breaks and browse what they offer.  Then I choose some that I would like to spend some time in.  These could include resources I am seeking, new ministry ideas, or opportunities to serve others.
  • I love to blog about what I am learning at conferences.  However, I have found that most people do not enjoy taking lots of notes.  So, if I am attending your conference, you can visit my blog for notes.  But even before I started blogging, I would focus on listening to each main stage speaker and jotting down 1-3 quotes or ideas that stood out to me.  Don't feel you have to write down every word they say.  Often conferences will offer DVD's of specific speakers so if you loved someone so much, go and buy that DVD.  
  • Strike up a conversation with someone attending.  There is always the desire to talk to the "popular" speakers or workshop leaders.  But I have found much fruit in talking with those attending and hearing what God is doing in their ministry.  This has often been an unplanned blessing.
  • When you return home, don't try to change things immediately.  Spend some time praying through your 1-3 notes from above.  Then pick 2 things you would like to do immediately (within next month).  Pick 2 more ideas for implementation over the next year.  Choose 1-2 ideas that you would like to see happen in the future.  This is extremely important because often we go home and want to change our church, but unfortunately many of the leaders in your church did not hear the same speakers or sit in the same workshop.  They are not as fired up as you are.  So, you need to be patient and choose wisely.  If you always come back from conferences with 25 changes, you will become discouraged when only a few are implemented.  
I hope these tips are helpful as you attend your next conference.  If you are attending D6, I hope these will be helpful for you this week in Dallas.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon Notes-"Transitional Thoughts"

Sermon Notes "Plans" based on Acts 10:24-48