Mitchell & Lent

Bethany and I were caught off guard last week when Mitchell began thinking about what he should give up for Lent.  We had not talked about it much at home, but I guess he heard Pastor Brad mention it during a sermon the previous week.  I guess he is listening more than I think he is. 

Mitchell is a creative, intelligent, and passionate individual.  As with all of us, our strengths can also show as weaknesses at times.  For example, Mitchell's passion when directed appropriately is great, but can also come out in anger or being easily frustrated.  My administrative gifts can also get in the way of meaningful conversations with others when trying to complete a task. 

I share all of this to remind myself that my son is growing up.  Even though, we can clash at times, I still love him dearly and the unique personality God has given him. What can at times seem to be a self-focused, authority challenging, & quirky young man can also think deeply, follow Christ, and come up with creative ways to worship.  I am now trying to help him decide what to give up (or maybe focus on) during Lent.  I would never have expected to be having this conversation with him.

I share this story for those of you wondering if your son or daughter will ever grow up.  As I have heard before, the days are long, but the years are short.  As parents, let's use our time with our kids wisely in helping them to love God & love others.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon Notes-"Transitional Thoughts"

Sermon Notes "Plans" based on Acts 10:24-48

What is D6 Conference?