Spiritual Parenting

Yesterday, I switched up my routine a little and headed to Mojo's in Newton for my Thursday morning reading.  I had a great pumpkin spice latte and sat down to do some reading.  Currently, I am reading several books, but two were close to being finished so that became my goal.  I was able to finish Spiritual Parenting by Michelle Anthony & Not A Fan by Kyle Idleman.  As I have been saying from the first few chapters, if you are a parent you need to read Anthony's book.

Let me start with Spiritual Parenting.  Tomorrow, I will post about Not A Fan.  Not only did I love this book, but it also was the "open door" to begin a conversation with someone at the Perk a few weeks ago.  For more on that story, go here.  Anthony does a great job of reminding parents of our true goal in parenting.  She backs that up with great practical ideas of how to do it.  Let me share a few quotes from the last few chapters.  Anthony writes, "Spiritual parents recognize the brevity of our profound influence in our children's lives, and they choose to live their lives in that awareness."  She concludes the book in the same way she starts.  She writes, "These are the very things we identified that we wanted for our children's faith development: (1) to know and hear God's voice through a loving relationship and through His Word, (2) to desire to obey His voice, and (3) to obey Him through the power of God's Spirit and not their own strength alone. You and your child are on a spiritual journey together, not just for the next few years, but for a lifetime. . ."

Let's commit to being spiritual parents today.  Don't worry about the past, get started today.  My desire is to partner with parents in the Hesston community to help them in this area.  I would encourage all of you to pick up the book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon Notes-"Transitional Thoughts"

Sermon Notes "Plans" based on Acts 10:24-48