Are You Abiding?

Currently, Pastor Brad & I are reading through, "The Legacy Path" by Brian Haynes.  I have written a review of the book here. As I mentioned in that review, Chapter 2 is worth the price of the book in my opinion.  In it, Haynes takes us to John 15 to learn more about what it means to abide.  Before reading his words, he encourages us to go to John 15 and read & study this passage.  I have included it here for your convenience from the ESV:

 1"I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. 2Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. 3Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you. 4Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. 5I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. 6If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. 7If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. 8By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples. 9As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love. 10If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in his love. 11These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full."
Haynes shares several challenging quotes in Chapter 2 in relationship to our relationship with Christ and how that impacts our children.  Here are several:

"The greatest obstacle parents have to overcome in leading their children spiritually is their own mediocre or morbidly religious relationship with God accompanied by a juvenile understanding of His Word."

"The essence of a daily relationship with Christ can be summed up in one word: abide."

Haynes shares what he calls the "1-2 punch" in regards to abiding.  They are prayer & Scripture.

"Prayer is essential to abiding in Christ. . .In my life there is a direct correlation to my connectedness with the Father and my daily commitment to prayer. . .Prayer is as important as breathing when it comes to an abiding life in Christ."
 "Perhaps it is because knowing and practicing the Word of God is essential to living life in relationship with Him. . .Abiding through reading, studying, and meditating on God's Word is a spiritual discipline. . .Abiding in the Word influences "whatever we do" so we can do it in the name of Christ."


Why do I share this?  To make you feel guilty?  Absolutely not.  I have been convicted by the Holy Spirit myself in relation to what I read in John 15 and this chapter from Haynes.  I share this with you because the Enemy does not want you to abide.  Why?  Because when we abide, there is strength & power in Christ.  So, if Satan works hard to keep us from doing it, then there must be something about it.  This is not checking something off a list to say I'm a good Christian, but instead goes to the heart of who we were created to be.  Let us seek to abide in Christ today and from this day forward.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon Notes-"Transitional Thoughts"

Sermon Notes "Plans" based on Acts 10:24-48