Not A Fan-"An Open Invitation"

For the next 3 days, I plan to share a paragraph from the book, Not A Fan, by Kyle Idleman. During these posts, I hope to encourage and challenge our thoughts and actions based on the selected paragraph. I would encourage you to pick up the book and start reading. I have actually included it as part of a Sunday School class I am teaching.

It's important to understand that the grace of God doesn't simply invite us to follow . . . it teaches us to follow. Just because Matthew left his past behind and started following didn't mean he was perfect. Far from it. Even after we decide to follow Jesus, we continue to need his grace for the journey. There are plenty of days where I find myself living as a fan, but each morning I receive the same grace-filled invitation that Jesus spoke to Matthew: "Follow me." (Idleman, 125)
As I read these words today, I was reminded of the "Amazing Grace" we sing about. Grace is not just for the person far from God, but is needed moment by moment for each of us. We see in these words how important it is to stay connected to God. We also notice that Jesus did not seek perfection. So, why then, do we try and act perfect when we gather with other Christians? Let's be real and admit our need of grace rather than strive so hard to be perfect. This would truly change the world's view of Christians. And let us always remember the all are invited to follow Jesus. We too can respond to the same invitation given to Matthew.

Check back tomorrow for another paragraph about passionate pursuit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon Notes-"Transitional Thoughts"

Sermon Notes "Plans" based on Acts 10:24-48