Unforced Rhythms of Grace

Recently, I attend the MB Pastor's Get Together in Norman, OK. It was a good time to get away with Bethany and the kids and be refreshed. Our speaker was Michael Cusick. His website is http://restoringthesoul.com He shared some great insights about our soul. He started by asking this question: God feels _______________ with me. If the response is anything but positive, we need to focus on our soul.

He read Matthew 11:28-30 to us and asked us to pick a word or phrase and meditate upon it. I encourage you to do the same.
28-30"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."
I picked the phrase "unforced rhythms of grace." As I meditated on the phrase, I was challenged by how often I rush or force through Bible reading and prayer both personally and in ministry. At times, I can check it off my list, but it has been rushed. So, I decided to spend time "being with God" rather than completing a task. I am three days in and can definitely say unforced and unhurried has been a blessing. I encourage you to think about your devotional times. Are they focused on doing or on being?

Michael closed his time by asking this question: How is it with your soul? Rather than spend a lot of time teaching on the topic, we spent 20 minutes in silence and solitude just being with God. No agenda. We were asked to "rest in the Lord." Here are a few verses to think about related to rest: Psalm 23, Isaiah 55, & Isaiah 30:15.

Check back for posts from the MB Convention. Our speaker was Steve Macchia. These posts will be on "The Heart of the Church" and "The Soul of a Leader."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon Notes-"Transitional Thoughts"

Sermon Notes "Plans" based on Acts 10:24-48