Skip to main content

My goal in parenting by Steven Furtick

This is a blog post by Steven Furtick, author of Sun Stand Still & pastor of Elevation Church in Charlotte, NC.

I have a simple goal in parenting.

When you read it you’ll probably yawn. You’ll wonder how it fits with a prayer I included in Sun Stand Still that I pray for Elijah and Graham almost every day:
“God, raise up my sons to be the greatest men of God of their generation.”

But it’s my goal nonetheless. And it’s actually just as bold and audacious as my prayer for them.

My goal in parenting is to raise my kids to have a boring testimony.
In other words, to stay out of trouble and love Jesus all their lives.

Exciting, I know. But actually, it really should be.

I know that in the church we usually privilege and promote Christian horror stories where God brings someone back from the edge of doom. But trust me, these stories that bring an audience to tears brought far more tears to the parents while they were actually living through them. I don’t want that for Holly or myself, and I especially don’t want it for my kids.

I still hold to what I said in Sun Stand Still. I don’t want to raise good boys and girls. I want to raise great men and women who will do great things for a great God. I’m not raising my kids to survive the world. I’m raising them to change it.

It’s just that I’d prefer that my kids change the world without having to have the world first change them. A person’s testimony doesn’t have to be spectacularly sinful to be significant.

I hope I never have to hear my kids give a testimony about how God brought them back from a life of drugs, sex, and Justin Bieber concerts. I’d rather passionately praise God for how they’ve passionately pursued Him all their lives.

I hope and pray my kids will have a boring testimony. I hope and pray the same thing for yours too.

We don’t have full control over whether it will happen. They will ultimately make their own choices.

But with all of our power as parents, let’s work and live to see our goal realized. Our kids will thank us. You’ll thank yourself. And ultimately you’ll both thank God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon Notes-"Transitional Thoughts"

Sermon Notes "Plans" based on Acts 10:24-48