Black Friday

Well, we had a great Thanksgiving together. However, it seems to be Thanksgiving night that has changed plans the last two years. Last year, we had Thanksgiving in Wichita with Bethany's family and then drove to Yates Center. In the middle of the night, Mitchell got sick and we had to pack up all the kids and head home early even though the plan was to go to Disney on Ice. The middle girls & Bethany drove to Topeka and was able to still enjoy time with the cousins.

It happened again this year. We were in Yates Center and had a good Thanksgiving meal at my Aunt Kay Jean's house. We had fun playing some card games and the cousins enjoyed playing together. Bethany had to be back to work and I wanted to work some more on my sermon so we planned to head back to Hesston on Thanksgiving night and the kids would stay in Yates Center and we would meet up with them on Saturday morning. But I got the phone call at 2 a.m. that Molly was throwing up. She was very sick and kept crying for "mommy & daddy". So, I woke up at 6 to go and pick up the kids in El Dorado.

What can I learn? First, plans change. There is no reason to get upset and stressed out, but just adapt and move on. So, I am getting ready for a sermon at home today rather than at the office. Bethany and I planned a date night since we did not have any kids. Now, we will fix something simple for the kids and we will enjoy some Panda Kitchen for ourselves. Instead of going to a movie ourselves, we will probably watch a movie as a family.

I am thankful for so many things and even though my last 2 years of Thanksgivings has not ended as I would have planned. I am still thankful for a relationship with Jesus who loves me. I am grateful for a beautiful and talented wife & mother of my 4 kids. She is amazing and I am glad to have met her and love her more each and every day. I am proud of her accomplishments as manager at Faith & Life in only 2 short months. I am thankful for my wonderful children who are being great sports today even though they would rather be in Yates Center. They are all gifted in many ways and I love watching them grow and see their character develop. I also am thankful for a great family who raised me well and the family that I married into. I am thankful for a great church family who is supportive and has blessed me in so many ways. I appreciate their prayers, kind words/cards, and the ways they have taken care of us over the last 2 years. I am thankful for a great community to live in and the great schools where my children attend. There are many more things I could add, but I need to work on a sermon.

Whatever you are doing today, remember we all have much to be thankful for. Happy Black Friday!

Comments

  1. Hang in there with that positive attitude! Praying for the sickness to pass very quickly!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon Notes-"Transitional Thoughts"

Sermon Notes "Plans" based on Acts 10:24-48