Jim Burns at D6

Jim Burns was the last speaker on Day 1 of the D6 Conference. He shared about a quote in his office which says, "When you reach the family, you reach the world." According to Burns, the purpose of the church is to mentor parents. As he talked about Deuteronomy 6:4-9, he shared how this would have been the first verse that Jesus heard being raised Jewish. Deuteronomy 6 does three things: shows fidelity to God, shows how to transmit faith, and gives us a constant reminder.

Burns shared we needed to make 3 paradigm shifts:

  • Discipleship begins in the home. We, in the church, are to be facilitators. We must resource them.
  • Must teach parents to be become students of culture.
  • Our job is to set the pace. We need to lead with integrity & authenticity and with margin.
He also had 3 questions we needed to ask ourselves in ministry.
  • Do I like the person I am becoming?
  • Is the work of God I'm doing destroying the work of God in me?
  • Am I only giving my family the emotional scraps?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon Notes-"Transitional Thoughts"

Sermon Notes "Plans" based on Acts 10:24-48