Valentine's Day-The Movie

This is a repost of thoughts I wrote after watching the movie, Valentine's Day. I am reposting because it is coming out on DVD. Please don't waste your money or your time.

No, this is not a post about the holiday, but instead about the movie. Yesterday, I had the opportunity to go on a date with my beautiful wife. We went to Wichita and ate at our favorite restaurant, Carlos O'Kelly's. We had not been to a movie on a date in a long time so I really wanted to go. I chose the movie that everyone has been talking about, Valentine's Day, which included many top names in Hollywood. I will make it clear what I thought.

I HATED THE MOVIE!!

Spoiler Alert: I will tell what happens in the movie to prove my point because I hope you will choose not to waste your money or time.

This movie, which came out on Friday, and which Hollywood hoped would bring in many romantics because of the holiday, is not good. First of all, it is not funny. Second, it is depressing and not romantic at all. Third, if this is what Hollywood thinks love is then our world is worse than I thought. This gives a horrible picture of love. Why?

Only 2 of the couples in this movie are married. The one (Patrick Dempsey) is having an affair. The other which has been married for 51 years rather than celebrating their commitment also reveals an affair in the past. It makes it sound almost impossible that even a married couple could have been faithful for that long. Though the couple does point out that love is forgiving and accepting of the other's faults, it gives loneliness as an excuse to have had an affair--even many years ago. How sad! Hollywood-you are missing it. There are tons of stories of committed married couples and it is sad that not one is shown in this movie.

What else? One of the characters is a phone sex operator. Really? We highlight this as part of a movie about love. Her boyfriend (of two weeks) is made out to be the bad guy because he has a problem with her occupation. I am sorry-this is a horrible foundation to build a relationship on. Of course, Hollywood had to add a homosexual relationship to the picture. They just choose to use two of Hollywood's hottest guys to show how acceptable it is. One teenage couple is considering having sex for the first time and when she talks with a school counselor or teacher and another older couple neither of them suggest to wait until married. The couple does decide to wait but only for a little while. One couple decides they love their best friend after both of them slept with someone else the night before. Really? If this is what true romance is, I want nothing of it. How disappointing Hollywood.

OK-all of my personal preferences aside. Biblically, this movie is full of reasons why the world has it all wrong. Today, I heard a great sermon on 1 Corinthians 13 which is the love chapter. We only show true love when it is focused on Jesus. The love shown in this movie is shallow. True love is unconditional, sacrificial, and forgiving. I am not going to get into all the verses from the Bible that challenge everything about this movie. However, know that the love that God offers us and wants us to share with others is so completely opposite from what is portrayed in the movie.

I was saddened by this movie. I was disgusted by this movie. I am sad that I spent money to go to this movie. I wish I would have gone bowling instead. If you are wanting a picture of true love, please don't think this movie gives it to you. This movie is full of lies and offers a sad commentary on love. As I looked around church this morning, I saw couples who had been married for 30, 40, 50 & 60 years and that is what I want to see shown in the movies. Come on, Hollywood, you can do better!

Comments

  1. Check out the real love at this weblog for it is written Satan has deceived the whole world until the heel of time when a woman shall bruise him by exposing his lies Gen 3:15. Check out the bruising of Satan at http://thegoodtale.blogspot.com please read all the posts to see the whole picture

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon Notes-"Transitional Thoughts"

Sermon Notes "Plans" based on Acts 10:24-48