2010 National Day of Prayer

Today is the National Day of Prayer. It is a day set aside to pray for our country. It is a time to stop the busyness and rush of life and get away to a quiet place and spend some extended time in prayer. Hopefully, this day is marked by more than just a quick prayer to get through the day. I pray it is a day of transformation as God transforms us and our cities, states, nation, and world as he hears and answers prayer. But even if the answer is no or wait, we will be transformed by spending time with our awesome God.

I wanted to highlight a few things that we are doing at Hesston MB Church in connection with the National Day of Prayer this year. Last night, we held a Concert of Prayer at 7 p.m. I want to thank Angie Selden (and whoever else from Sterling College) that led the first concert of prayer I attended. This is a time of worship through song and prayers connected together. The way I have planned them over the last few years include several songs to start the evening followed by praying for local, state, national, and world requests with a song in between each focus. I have been blessed by each one I have participated in. I truly believe God was glorified in our concert of prayer last night. This event was our kickoff to our next event which is 24 Hours of Prayer.

Starting last night at 8 p.m., Hesston MB committed to pray for 24 Hours with at least one person covering each hour until 8 p.m. tonight. During this 24 hours, the community is invited to come to the church to enjoy a time of silence and prayer. Resources are available to guide the prayer time. It is so refreshing to think that the Body of Christ has been praying non-stop for the last 24 hours of prayer. God will bless those efforts! Thanks to everyone who signed up to pray! As always, I experienced a great time with God in prayer.

I cannot believe how God has changed me from the first time I attempted to pray longer than 5 minutes. My hour of prayer today went by so fast. I needed more time! However, that was not always the case. I can remember when 10 minutes seemed to last forever. What changed? Praying. As I preached on Sunday, I have read many Scriptures and books on prayer, but the best way to grow in prayer is to do it. So, my encouragement is to not give up when it seems you get easily distracted or that prayer seems to "not be working". Persevere and keep going! You will not be disappointed.

So, you still have time. If you are in Hesston, stop by Hesston MB Church and pray. If outside of Hesston, take some extra time today to lift up requests to God. So many Scriptures testify to the power of prayer and the confidence we have in approaching God. Things will be changed in your personal life, family, work, local, state, national and world governments as we pray. I am so thankful to all of those who have mentored me in prayer over the years (you know who you are)!

Let us pray!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon Notes-"Transitional Thoughts"

Sermon Notes "Plans" based on Acts 10:24-48

What is D6 Conference?