My son is 10!

I cannot believe that my oldest turned 10 today. I can remember clearly 10 years ago. Mitchell was due Jan. 3rd. Bethany had been to the doctor that day (Thursday, Dec. 9th) and they said it would be another 2 weeks before he was born. Bethany kept talking about her back hurting most of the day. She was busy vacuuming at the church that day as well as attending choir practice that night. I think it must have been mother's intuition because she decided to do some laundry before going to bed. In our apartment below the church office, we had a dryer that when it went into a spin cycle it shook everything in the kitchen. So, we went to bed and Bethany was awakened to a crash of dishes falling to the ground because of the dryer. She cleaned up the dishes. I slept through the whole thing. I know I am a bad husband! Bethany came back to bed and could not sleep and then it happened-her water broke at 11:30 p.m.

This put us into rush mode. We did not have a hospital bag completely packed. We ran around trying to get things together. We called the doctor and she told us that she was at another hospital and that we could come where she was. We had already preregistered at Swedish and wanted to go there. The doctor said, "you won't have the baby before I get there in the morning." We rushed off to Swedish. Soon, we would find out the doctor was wrong.

Once at the hospital, Bethany was having some big contractions very close together. I knew things were moving fast when the nurse started handing paperwork to Bethany and me to sign for her. Her labor was moving quickly. Looking back, Bethany was having back labor and had been in labor all day. Mitchell came into the world at 2:53 a.m. on December 10, 1999. We thought he would be our millennium baby, but Mitchell wanted things his way. We should have known from his entrance into the world that he would like to be in control.

Happy Birthday, Mitchell! I have enjoyed watching you grow these last 10 years. You have become a great boy. I look forward to seeing how God will use you and your talents. I am proud to be your dad and look forward to the man you will become. It is hard to believe that you are 10 today and that the time left in our home is becoming shorter. I hope, as a dad, I can teach you to become a man who loves God, treats others with respect, and that you will make a difference for God's kingdom. I hope my example as a believer, husband, and dad will be one that you will learn from and choose to follow in adulthood. God, empower me to be that kind of dad for my children!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon Notes-"Transitional Thoughts"

Sermon Notes "Plans" based on Acts 10:24-48