My First Family Night at Hesston MB

Last night, a dream of mine (and many others from Hesston MB) came true. We had our first Family Night at Hesston MB. The purpose was for the family to come together for a meal, fun, and learning together. Our regular ministries to children and 5th/6th graders were canceled and replaced by Family Night. Thanks to Edna Decker and her wonderful team of ladies for the great food! Thanks also to Tony for setting up and for Josh getting me sound at the last minute.

I was very pleased with how the evening went. As families arrived they prayed and ate together. After everyone had finished eating, I led them in a song to get them moving. I used Go by Seeds Family Worship. Then I used a resource called "Family Friendly Ideas Your Church Can Do" published by Group and we used the one titled, "As For Me and My House". During this time, families made a baton for their family. All of the details are in the book. After each family had made a baton, we had some relay races using the baton as families. We then gathered together to talk about what Ephesians 6:1-4 says to children and parents. We answered some questions and then also read Joshua 24:15. We closed the evening by praying together as families and grasping the baton and saying together, "As for me and my family, we will serve the Lord." I then closed with another song by Seeds Family Worship called Young.

It was a blessing to see parents and kids talking about God together. What a great picture of what needs to happen in all of our homes. The feedback has been positive and I look forward to our next two Family Nights in November and February. I hope that I will be better able to equip parents in the future to pass on their faith at home. First, I need them to see the importance of it and then follow up with resources to guide their times at home. I shared several great resources with them.

I want to share a story that sadly, but perfectly illustrates the point I am trying to make. What is the point? Parents must be teaching their children at home about Jesus and faith. It is not about legalism or making myself look more spiritual. It is biblical (see Deuteronomy 6:4-9, Psalm 78:1-8, Proverbs 22:7, Matthew 28:18-20, Mark 12:29-31, Ephesians 6:4) and the research supports it. Parents, you are the primary spiritual influence in your kids' lives above anyone else! It is your responsibility and my desire is that I can help you know how to do this in the home.

OK-now let me share the story. A girl came up to me as she showed up on Wednesday night. I explained it was family night and that we had some great food and fun planned. She said, "Yeah, I know, I tried to get my parents to come. Mom said she was too busy and Dad is just too lazy." Ouch! A 1st grade girl has shown great wisdom in understanding the situation. I prayed for this girl and her family. It almost brings me to tears as I retell the story. As Darren Whitehead from Willow Creek shared at the D6 Conference, "Plan A is the family, Plan B is the church." Let me close with another quote from Darren Whitehead. He said, "Something unexplainable happens when the family and church unite." I pray we see in the future a uniting of church and home!

Comments

  1. Thanks for the mention of Seeds Family Worship!! We always love to hear how people incorporate our music into their family worship times.

    Email me and I'll let you know all the new things going on with Seeds! michelle@seedsfamilyworship.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon Notes-"Transitional Thoughts"

Sermon Notes "Plans" based on Acts 10:24-48