The Battle For . . . Parenting

Parenting is hard work. I am so thankful for my wife who I get to parent alongside of. Single parents have a difficult task doing it alone. No matter our situation, God has called each of us parents to this noble calling and task. Parents, today look at your kids and let them know how much you love them and appreciate them.

What lies do we tell ourselves or does Satan whisper to us about parenting?
  • For Dads, as long as we are supporting our families financially, we can leave the nurture to mom.
  • Our goal in parenting should be happy, successful, intelligent kids.
  • Spending time with my kids is not that important; they are resilient and will be fine.
  • How I treat my spouse does not affect my parenting.
  • It's about about behavior modification.
  • Disrespect to those in public (teachers, coaches, etc.) is worse than disrespect at home.
  • I need to have a well rounded kid so I get them involved in several sports, music, drama, etc.
  • It's not important that I am there for meals and bed times.
  • Mom & Dad parent in the same way. (This is not about being on the same page in discipline, but instead parenting based on our uniqueness as male and female)
  • Who I am at home is not as important as who I am in public.
  • The best way to teach my children about God is to let the professionals or volunteers at church do it.
  • My hobbies trump family time. (How much time are you spending playing sports, watching TV, reading, scrap booking, etc. compared with time spent with the family? Keep track of a regular week and see how you spend your time. Having a hobby is not a bad thing, but it is when you spend more time doing that than spending with your wife and kids.)
  • What I do and say really does not negatively affect my kids.
  • Sharing with others my struggles in parenting shows weakness and they will judge me any way.
  • I don't need to talk about God at home because they are getting enough of that on Sundays and Wednesdays.
  • The list could go on and on.

What's the truth?

Ephesians 6:4 says, "Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord."

Proverbs 22:6 says, "Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it."

Psalm 78:3-4 says, "things that we have heard and known, that our fathers have told us. We will not hide them from their children, but tell to the coming generation the glorious deeds of the Lord and his might, and the wonders that he has done."

Deuteronomy 6:5-7 You shall love the Lord your God will all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise."

Psalm 127:3 says, "Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward."

Not only is parenting a major responsibility, but it is also a gift. Too often I think we focus on the hard work and time and forget that God's Word tells us that our kids are a gift and a blessing. As parents, we need to be parenting the heart of our kids not just getting them to behave. It is so much deeper and requires more effort and time. We also need to take seriously passing on the faith to our kids. Our kids need to know that Jesus affects our life not just at church, but also throughout the week. We must be teaching and talking about God at home. We must invest wisely in our children. This question was posed by Rob Rienow at the D6 Conference: What gets the best of my heart? (God, husband/wife, kids, or work). We know what the answer should be, but what does the way we use our time say the answer really is?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon Notes-"Transitional Thoughts"

Sermon Notes "Plans" based on Acts 10:24-48