Daddy Dates

I don't know where I first heard the term, "daddy dates." But I know I have heard it from Chap Clark, Voddie Baucham, Mark Driscoll, and many more. The idea is that dads need to spend time with their kids one on one. Find something they enjoy and go and enjoy it together. It does not have to be expensive or extremely long. The important thing is that you give your undivided attention to your child.

In my home, I take the oldest three to games. In the fall, we enjoy the beautiful outside for football and in the winter the excitement of basketball (I enjoy watching basketball more). My kids are starting to enjoy sports, but really go more for the stop at the concession stand. That is OK with me because we are spending time together. I also have started taking them along to work at times and my favorite stop-Lincoln Perk. No, they don't drink coffee, but they really like the muffins. The girls have also enjoyed gelato and Hello Kitty Blenders.

The key is that we do something. Our kids need to know we care about them and want to spend time with them. It is a great time to ask questions about school, activities, what they are excited about, what they fear, what they are learning at school and at church, pray with them, etc. It is important to be there not just physically but mentally as well. Silence the cell phone and don't be thinking about that project that needs to get done at home or work.

Remember it does not have to be a complex thing. Start today! For those of you with more than one child, it gets a little more complicated, but it is still worthwhile. As a dad of four, I have a rotation and it works well. I enjoyed my time with Mitchell this morning as we went to Lincoln Perk. We talked about several things and I enjoyed hearing his thoughts and joys. I hope you find "daddy dates" to be rewarding times for you as well!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon Notes-"Transitional Thoughts"

Sermon Notes "Plans" based on Acts 10:24-48

What is D6 Conference?