Why Do I Go To Church?

This question, was posted on the Hesston MB facebook page, so I thought I would answer it here. The number one reason I worship on Sunday but also throughout the week as well is because God is faithful, holy, just, awesome, and worthy of worship. When I show up on Sunday, it is not about the great music, great preaching, great people, but it is about an offering of praise to the Audience of One. It is all for and about God and my attitude should reflect that.

But there are many other reasons as well. In Hebrews 10:25-26, we are told to "not give up meeting together as some are in the habit of doing" because we are to "encourage one another". When I show up I should be looking for ways to encourage others in the body and to allow them to encourage me as well. We should be strengthening each other's faith as we gather on Sunday. Similarly, my gifts are needed in the Body of Christ and if I am not using my gifts then the church is not ministering at 100%. In 1 Corinthians 12, we are told in speaking of the church, "each one of you is a part of it." My spiritual gifts (and yours too) are needed for us to make a difference both inside and outside the church building.

We should also be equipped and empowered to go out and minister to a hurt and lost world. If we are not sharing our faith or what God is doing in our lives, then we are not fulfilling the great commission. We are told to "go and make disciples" so we cannot be content with our close small group and great friendships, but must also be going out as well. I know I don't always do this as well as I should. But I am reminded that I need to be about "my father's business." Look to Jesus' example and we need to be reaching out to those in need across the street and around the world.

As the church, we cannot ever accept the status quo or things are "good enough." Until Jesus returns, we need to be doing everything we can to evangelize the world around us. This can be done through ministries within the church, special events or activities, or by going to our neighbors and co-workers and being salt and light and sharing the message of the gospel. We also need to remember that we are not alone, but we have the Holy Spirit to guide us and give us the words.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon Notes-"Transitional Thoughts"

Sermon Notes "Plans" based on Acts 10:24-48