Summer is here!

Well, last week was the kids' first week out of school. It included ball practices and trips to the pool and lots of outside time. As I think about summer, I usually associate it with more time. The kids are home more often during the day. However, this summer I am realizing that activities can quickly fill our schedules. Our evenings are packed-between now and July 9th, we have 3 open evenings. This is not me complaining; it's just the facts.

It reminds me of the importance of balance. Even though we are so busy, it does not mean that I should spend less time with the kids. I just have to become more creative. As a dad, I need to remember the following important times:
  • meal times (include more than eating such as "highs of the day", prayer, worship, Scripture memory)
  • bed times (pray for your kids, read Bible stories together, sing together)
  • driving (talk about the day, ask questions as you drive)
  • church (activities should not replace Sunday worship-not legalism here, but worship should be a priority not optional)
  • fun (walks, the pool, bike rides, the Arboretum, parks, etc.-since evenings are busy-I need to get home to do things with the kids at other times)
  • vacation (one of my fondest memories as a child was family vacations-it was the time when our family had great times together and were not busy with life. I look forward to our vacation this summer.)
I hope these give you some ideas how to use your time this summer with your family. Remember, the quote from a previous post, "Time is precious, and you only get one chance to raise your children" (Baucham 39). Let's not let busyness interfere with our family times this summer!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon Notes-"Transitional Thoughts"

Sermon Notes "Plans" based on Acts 10:24-48