Graduation

Well, it's that time of year when graduates are excited and families are excited, but also a little sad. As I think back to graduation from high school, college and seminary, I remember the days with much joy. First, it was recognition of all the accomplishments and hard work put into finishing your degree. Second, it was the ending of an era which meant the beginning of something new. Last, it was great to reflect on how I had changed through the years.

I am starting to feel a little old since this year is my 15 year high school class reunion. I remember those years well. Good friends and enjoyment in classes, drama, band, and sports. My one disappointment during these years was my relationship with Christ. It was mostly non-existent. I accepted Christ following my 8th grade year, but experienced very little growth in high school. Why? Several reasons: few peers encouraging me to grow in my faith, not spending any time in prayer or reading God's word, and church as a duty rather than worship of our awesome God.

All of those things changed for me when I went off to Sterling College. Anyone still undecided for next fall, I highly recommend Sterling. My first day at Sterling I met a girl who would forever change my life. I was attracted to her from the beginning. We spent a lot of time together as friends for the first semester. During that time, we had a lot of in depth discussions about dating. She told me she would never date someone she could not marry. She also wanted a man with a strong relationship with Christ. That was not me! However, God used Bethany to challenge me to go deeper in my relationship to Christ. I began seeing worship as important rather than routine, Bible reading as a guide to real life, and prayer as a necessary part of my day. I thank God every day for leading me to Sterling to meet a wonderful girl who eventually became my wife. I do not want to think where I would be today if I had not started understanding what living for Christ means.

So, as you walk across the stage tomorrow or in the next few days, remember your excitement and joy. Go out and make a difference in our hurting world. A good place to start is with a vital and growing faith in Christ. It will dramatically affect everything you do.

Comments

  1. What a great testimony of standing firm in faith as Bethany did and the impact it had on you growing spiritually. I loved reading this!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon Notes-"Transitional Thoughts"

Sermon Notes "Plans" based on Acts 10:24-48